Friday, August 05, 2005

much violence

This is all too much, too many of our guys have died all too quickly. It's very hard to hear this every other day or so, it absolutely breaks my heart. Another 3 of our soldiers perished two nights ago in an attack. It's hard on everyone here and everyone in the 48th, to be reminded all too soon that life is so very fragile.


But life continues here in Mahmudiyah, the days keep on going. Things are well in our little FOB, everyone seems to be in better moods here, or maybe it's just me. I've been talking to more and more people lately and have even been smiling on a regular basis. I think that once you are really used to a situation, you come to embrace it. I have made several good friends here that always make a point to stop into the internet center and talk to me. A new one on the list is one of my roommate's friends from AIT. He's part of the company from Alabama, we just call them Bama'. He came in and was talking a mile a minute about all the stuff he's done outside the wire. he loves his job and plans to go career military. He showed me a whole bunch of pictures and videos of the many patrols he's done. He said that if they would let him, he'd go out twice every day. His group has been fortunate to have not been hit yet. His platoon is taking on a little project. They are trying to get a U.S. organization to sponsor one of the children in our sector. This little Iraqi boy is severely disformed and lacks proper medical care for his condition. He has to walk on his hands with his legs dragging on the ground behind him. But poor medical care is a sad fact of many of the children in the area around us. Hopefully once the violence has stopped here, we can bring in charitable organizations to help these children.
SPC Schreck

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Lauren, Once again let me tell you how much I enjoy reading your blog. You have a gift for writing. I hope you pursue it in civilian life. I wonder if you know my son, Sgt. O'Donald. He's at Row but I think he has to come to Michael pretty often.
Pam

Friday, August 05, 2005 2:56:00 PM  
Blogger uprit said...

Hello,
I just drop in and read your blog. I enjoy reading your blog, and what some one else must have told you before, you have a gift for writing.
Your writing can describe the situation there, that makes me shiver.
Btw, I came from Indonesia which most of the civilianz are moslem.
Take care, and God Bless

uprit

Monday, August 08, 2005 1:27:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home