Saturday, July 23, 2005

Stop and smell the garbage.

I got off work yesterday and went over to the PX to look around. I guess I'm secretly longing to window shop at the mall again, because I find myself over there everyday even though I never really buy anything. I ran into a soldier from FOB Row who said that I had a package that was coming from there and should be here already. I wasn't expecting a package, but I was very excited because I haven't gotten anything from home yet. I go over to the mailroom and they informed me that somebody from HHC came and signed for it and that it was over in the Mayor's cell. So I walk across the now empty lot where the Chicken Factory used to be and headed into the Mayor's cell. They said they never received it and have no record of it. Turns out my roommate is the one who signs for the mail coming into HHC and she didn't see it. I go back to the mailroom and tell them what HHC said. He pulls out his record book and finds my name marked on the 22nd of June and that HHC signed for the package. So I am befuddled to what has actually happened to this package. I am also curious to who sent it. I hope this doesn't happen to the rest of my packages.
After my hour-long search for the mysterious package, I decided that it was too close to dinner time to get any sleep in so I sat down at the MWR tent and watched the end of the movie Final Destination 2. We had ribs at chow today, they were pretty good. Also had a nice conversation with my LT. He told me, "This is when you know things are bad...I was walking around Stryker the other day with my head down and I smelled food. I thought 'Man, that smells good.' And then I look up and see the garbage truck."
The power is out today, so I am sweating a river here in the internet cafe'. The computers and phones run on a separate generator that I monitor personally, so it's just the lights and air-conditioning that are out. When the power's out the place doesn't get too busy, everyone who is off has retreated to the few places that have the air-conditioning up and running. Hope the power comes back on soon, it's hotter in here than it is outside (there's no breeze). I got some more pictures from a few of my buddies, and I should post them up soon. Probably tomorrow.
That's it for now.

SPC Schreck
HHC 1-108th AR

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home