Tuesday, August 02, 2005

When the trailer is rockin'

I woke up to explosions this morning, the artillery was at it again. They shot off some yesterday in the early morning that were incredibly loud. The explosions shook the whole internet trailer, making all the weapons and folding chairs that were on the shelves fall to the ground. Everyone jumped up and rush to get their gear on. One of the fisters was just sitting there and was like, "It's just outgoing rounds guys." The rounds continued for a while or so, keeping the little trailer rocking with the vibrations from the explosions. The explosions are annoying when they go off while you're trying to get sleep, but comforting as well.

I've noticed a new fashion trend among some of our soldiers here. Some of the guys and gals are attaching small stuffed animals to their vests. I ran into one of these trend-setting soldiers while coming out of the chow hall. He's a medic and he has a teddy bear wearing a loin cloth attach to his vest right above his ammo pouches. He said that it's helpful when he treats some of the children here. He lets the kids hold the bear while he examines them. Some guys have even gone to decorating their vehicles. They've attached everything from patriotic bumper stickers, heads of beanie babies, and flamingos to their humvees. It kinda reminds me of how pilots used to paint pictures of stuff on their planes. It's fun little stuff like this that brings a few smiles to some of the soldiers' faces here.

The power went off early this morning, I thought it would come back on in a few hours or so. It's been seven hours now, and still no power. The little internet trailer is baking, it's so hot in here. We can't get a decent breeze flowing because we're surrounded by concrete barriers. The power is never out this long, I hope my tent's air will be working when I get off work, otherwise there will be no afternoon nap. But at least I have some cold drinks now, courtesy of a very nice PFC from the stress tent. Thanks!

SPC Schreck

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Their Soldier. I'm on the blog With my dear friend Fran, and she is also the lil sister of a medic,SPC.Mendez,Pedro C.that is also in the HHC/TF 1-108th AR/48th BCT/3rd ID at FOB Michael. I've been keeping up to date with your blog and I want to "Thank you" for taking the time to report about the unit you are now station With.I have many guy soldier's from our 1/121 unit that is station with you as well.I hold them in a special place in my heart.I admire you as a women and a soldier, a wife and a mother, for putting your life on the line for our freedom.When I read your blog, and the comments,I can only amagine the love your spouse has for you.Your young sweety, but very smart, and a wonderful writer, by the way. You and your family will pull through this when its all over. I was a military wife for 20 yrs, and I sat in the same place as your husband is today, to many than I would like to say. I'm now separated from my spouse, but not because of the military, we just grew apart. We have three teenage girls together that we both love dearly.Keep the faith and honesty between you and your spouse, and you will come through this together. I'm sadden that you had to depart from your family so soon, but I can also see that you are a strong women and soldier, and I salute you with the highest of graditude for you being where you are.By the way, if you come across the soldier of SPC.Mendez, Pedro C.Please give him a message if you will and tell him that his "girl" silly girl said hello, and his family and I are praying for his safe return as well as his fellow soldiers of the 48th BDE. God Speed,
silly girl

Wednesday, August 03, 2005 8:12:00 AM  
Blogger Skullcrush3r said...

Thanks for your kind words, I will pass along your message to SPC Mendez through one of my other medic buddies.

Wednesday, August 03, 2005 10:34:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey! LOL! I loved this last entry. Youe really are a good writer! I just sent my brother a whole box of beanie babies like 2 weeks ago. I'd not thought of pink flamingos though. I am just sitting smiling be/c I am happy that these little distractions that we pack make our troops smile too.

Keep up the good work!!

Wednesday, August 03, 2005 4:30:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank You, and Please keep writing, because I enjoy reading what you report. I see that my friend Fran has also written.She's a very good writer as well, and SPC.Mendez, don't let that soldier fool you, because he's a awesome writer with a great mind of his own.I love all of you soldiers and want y'all home to a safely return, but until then, keep your spirits up, because from what I read you have a wonderful man awaiting your return.
Take Care

Wednesday, August 03, 2005 7:45:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home