Monday, August 01, 2005

A sad week

For the second time this week, we went into a commo blackout, which everyone knows is a very bad thing. They don't tell me what has happened, they just tell me to close the phones down and I am left to only imagine what has happened. I don't have to wonder for very long, because word travels quickly among the soldiers here. One of my medic friends comes in for his usual visit, he used to be with the second foot. I know he was upset over the first attack, those four soldiers who were killed earlier this week. I was upset too. I had had the chance to know them when they were in Ft. Stewart with me, but it never happened that way. I only remember some of their faces faintly. My friend and I started to talk, and he brought up the blackout. He told me that it was another four guys that were blown up. My heart sank at this new and tragic loss, and I could feel anger also growing inside. Another four souls from that unit, have they not suffered enough? A total of eight soldiers dead in one week, how are their comrades going to cope? I think about how their families are going to receive the news, and it makes me very sad. Families should never have to go through things like this, they shouldn't have to loose their fathers, sons, brothers, mothers, daughters, sisters and husbands and wives. But that is how things happen in war. Somebody has to go, somebody has to fight the wars of our nation, somebody has to make that sacrifice. My heart goes out to all that have lost someone dear to them, you are in my thoughts and prayers. Also, for those of us still standing, I can only hope that we will all make it home to you. We miss you all very much.

SPC Schreck

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home