Tuesday, August 30, 2005

I crave the normal life


Our cooks here have been getting creative lately with breakfast. I came in one day to something that looked like a pastry. It was french toast cut in half and encrusted with sugar and cinnamon. It was really really good. Then the next day they had the same thing only this time each half of french toast was stuffed with cherry pie filling, absolutely wonderful. I can't wait to see what else they have up their sleeves.

I made some more tea today, haven't done that in a while. I found that you only have to leave the bottles outside for about 5 minutes really, it's just that hot outside.

I've been in a bit of a funky mood lately. The time here is catching up with me I guess. I'm so tired of being away from everything. Watching the new reports of hurricane katrina in the chow hall yesterday made me feel a little better. I grew up in south Georgia on the coast (Brunswick), so hurricane season was almost like another sports season. We had the weather channel on all the time to see when the next hurricane was coming. So in a weird way, getting to watch the news report as she made landfall was kinda comforting. I guess cause it's normal. The more time that I spend in Iraq the more I grow accustomed to this routine. I don't want that to happen. I don't want this place to become 'normal' to me.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI LAUREN,

THANKS FOR THE WONDERFUL INFORMATION YOU HAVE GIVEN US ABOUT THE LIFE AROUND FOB MICHAEL. MY SON IS WITH TROOP E 108 CAV. HE TOLD ME A FEW MONTHS AGO ABOUT FIGURING OUT HOW TO MAKE SUN TEA. I AM NOT SURE IF HE IS THE 1ST ONE TO MAKE IT THERE. HE SAID AFTER HE MADE SOME OTHER GUYS WERE ASKING HIM HOW TO MAKE IT. HE TOLD THEM AND EVERYBODY STARTED MAKING IT. STAY SAFE AND KEEP THE INTERNET CAFE GOING SO OUR GUYS AND GALS CAN CALL OR E-MAIL US. YOUR JOB IS JUST AS IMPORTANT AS ANYONE ELSE-DON'T LET ANYBODY TELL YOU OTHERWISE. STAY SAFE AND IF YOU SEE MEDIC SMITH TELL HIM HIS FAMILY LOVES HIM AND TO KEEP HIS EYES OPEN.

Monday, September 05, 2005 6:35:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home