Thursday, September 08, 2005

A little visit


On September 6th FOB St. Michael got a special treat. Actor Vince Vaughn came to our remote little FOB for a USO sponsored visit. They put flyers up a few days prior to the event, but most soldiers here (including me) were skeptical of the event actually taking place. But he showed up! He came to the MWR tent and signed autographs, took pictures, and talked with the guys. He also went on a tour of our camp and visited some of the various work areas to see the guys who couldn't come to the MWR tent because they had to work. He was only here for about two hours, but the visit itself meant a lot. He's the only USO entertainment we've had so far. Nobody else it seems, wants or is able to visit our tiny FOB. Not even the visiting government officials. But I'm sure it's just because it's too dangerous here.

Mad props to Vince Vaughn for the visit! Thanks for coming out and supporting the troops.




4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lauren, I was so glad to read that you had some good food and some relaxation even though the Comics On Duty show was cancelled! I am Dave Mishevitz's mom, and of course I am frightened out of my skull every time he takes a "tour" of the bases, but I am so glad that he can bring some enjoyment to all of you stationed so far away.
Certainly my worries about him just pale compared to your folks and loved ones as they pray for all of you... Stay safe - we are so proud of all of you! Just a Mom.....

Thursday, September 08, 2005 9:07:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I came across your blog from an online search. My boyfriend is headed to Iraq in about 3 weeks and I am so scared and sad. reading your insights gave me a glimmer of reality there and made me feel somewhat better. Good luck and thank you.
-Alison

Thursday, September 08, 2005 11:43:00 PM  
Blogger Kat said...

Wow, way cool! :-)

Kat in GA

Friday, September 09, 2005 6:29:00 AM  
Blogger Skullcrush3r said...

to Dave's mom,
it's entertainers like your son who really brighten our days over here. I was bummed that I didn't get to see the four of them, but no one can predict the weather. I'll be sure to catch a show when I get back to the states.

to alison,
I'm glad my blog made you feel a little better about you're boyfriend's deployment. It's going to be tough on your relationship (I know) but it can actually strenghten it too. Just keep in mind that he'll probably be cranky, A LOT. Hope all goes well with the two of you and that he stays safe while over here.

SPC Schreck

Friday, September 09, 2005 2:22:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home